Responsibilities of the Building Department

The primary function of the Building Department is the administration and enforcement of the State of Michigan Building Codes. These standards serve to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the general public. The Building Department provides convenient local access to construction permits and inspection services as required under the Michigan Building Codes.

Bath Charter Township contracts with Associated Government Services (AGS) to provide building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing inspections for the Township.

Topics on this page include:

How do I contact an inspector?

What is a plot plan?

When are inspections needed?

Do I need a permit to replace siding, shingles or windows?

Are permits required for swimming pools, spas or hot tubs?

Do I need a demolition permit to demolish a building?

As a trade contractor, do I need to be registered with Bath Charter Township?

When are sealed architectural drawings necessary?

How do I contact an inspector?

To get in touch with an inspector, please call the Building Department.

What is a plot plan?

A plot plan is a diagram or layout of your property showing all buildings, the proposed construction and distances between buildings and property lines. A swimming pool is treated as an accessory structure for the plot plan.

When are inspections needed?

  • Footing inspections are required before concrete is poured.
  • Rough-in inspections are required before anything is concealed. Before calling for a building rough-in or final, all the trades need to have an approved rough-in or final inspection. Checking for trade approvals is part of the building inspection.
  • Final inspections should be scheduled after the project has been completed or installed.

Do I need a permit to replace siding, shingles or windows?

By completing a maintenance permit, the building department can determine if the work requires a building permit. There is no charge for a maintenance permit.

If a damaged truss, rafter, or eave is discovered when re-shingling a roof, a building permit will be required to make the structural repair.

A maintenance permit would be needed for window replacement. If a window is made larger or smaller, a building permit is required.

Contact us with your questions on what type of permit is needed.

Are permits required for swimming pools, spas, or hot tubs?

  • A building and land use permit are required for all ground or in-ground swimming pools. spas, or hot tubs.
  • An electrical permit is required if the pool, spa, or hot tub has a filter.
  • A mechanical permit is required if the pool, spa, or hot tub is heated.

The following is an excerpt from the 2009 Michigan Residential Code referring to swimming pools and fences: “Any pool over 24 inches in depth requires a barrier. A barrier is defined as a fence, wall, building wall. or combination thereof which completely surrounds the pool and obstructs access to the swimming pool. If the barrier is a fence: A fence shall be 48 inches above grade. Maximum vertical clearance between grade and bottom of the fence shall be 2 inches. Openings in the fence shall not be climbable. Only vertical members or chain link mesh shall be 2.25 inches unless slats are woven into the chain link. The fence shall have a self-latching or self-closing gate with the release mechanism being 54 inches from the bottom of the gate or in the alternative, be placed on the pool side of the gate – 3 inches from the top.”

Do I need a demolition permit to demolish a building?

Yes a demolition permit serves two purposes:

  • The demolition checklist needs to be completed before the demolition.
  • Alerts the assessor to remove the demolished building from your taxes.

If a building permit is pulled to replace the demolished building. there is no charge for the demolition permit.

As a trade contractor, do I need to be registered with Bath Charter Township?

No. Bath Charter Township doesn’t require a registration; however, a copy of the license is kept on file.

When are sealed architectural drawings necessary?

Sealed drawings are necessary for residential homes over 3,500 square feet and commercial projects.

The following forms have been moved to the Planning & Zoning page:

SUP & Site Plan/Rezoning Application

Zoning Board of Appeals Application

Land Use Permit Application

Please review all information on this page, including:

Review Time

Issuing the Permit

Posting the Permit


Certificates of Occupancy or Certificates of Compliance

Submit an application, plot plan, recorded deed and three (3) sets of drawings or blueprints. Applications are available here online under the Forms tab, or in paper format at the Township Offices.

For building and accessory permits, the application, plot plan, recorded deed and three (3) sets of drawings or blueprints are required for the permit package. (The accessory building permit is used for swimming pools.)

If the permit is for a new residence, a driveway permit, health department permit or sewer and water permit, and an energy code (exterior envelope) form will be required. In some areas of the Township, a Soil Erosion Permit is required. There is a map in the Building & Zoning office that will determine if a Soil Erosion Permit may be required.

Review Time

The review should take one week, however it may take longer depending on the magnitude of the review and the number of applications waiting for review. Applications are processed in the order in which they were received.

When the permit is ready to be issued, the applicant will be called. When the building permit package is submitted, it is checked for completeness. The drawings or blueprints are reviewed by the building inspector and a plan review done. The plan review includes all the codes necessary for your project, items omitted from your drawings or blueprints or to which the building inspector wants to draw attention. The plot plan will be reviewed to determine compliance with the zoning of the District.

If the project is denied due to zoning, there is recourse through the Zoning Board of Appeals.

Issuing a Permit

The Building Department will issue a building permit after review and approval of the completed building permit package. The issued permit package will include a copy of the building permit, the plan review, a copy of the drawings or blueprints, and a hard card. This hard card must be posted on the site for inspections to be done.

A trade permit may be pulled by a homeowner for his own house if he is doing the work. Otherwise, a licensed contractor must obtain the permit. Trade permits can be reviewed and issued the same day.

A contractor is not required to pull a building permit for a commercial project, but all trade permits must be pulled by a licensed contractor.

Posting the Permit

The hard card must be posted where the inspector can see it from the road. For new construction. the hard card is sometimes the only identification for a building project when it is at the footing stage. If the inspector cannot identify the address of the inspection, he will not do the inspection. If the hard card is destroyed, it can be replaced by calling the Building Department.


To schedule an inspection, call (517) 641-4238. If the call goes to voice mail, please give the following information: inspection address, type of inspection, permit number, name and phone number of person requesting the inspection. Inspections are normally done five days a week.

Certificates of Occupancy or Certificates of Compliance

A Final Inspection is Required for Every Project.

  • A Certificate of Occupancy is issued after the completion of an approved, final inspection for a building project.
  • A Certificate of Compliance is issued after the completion of an approved, final inspection for installation of furnaces, air conditioners or other work requiring a trade permit (electrical, mechanical or plumbing).

These Certificates are issued to the permit holders. An approved, final inspection may be necessary for insurance purposes and more banks are requiring a Certificate of Occupancy when the house is sold.

Building Permits are required for the following:

  • Change of occupancy of a structure.
  • Construction of an addition.
  • Construction or alteration of any structure.
  • Demolition or moving a structure.
  • Installation or alteration of any electrical, mechanical or plumbing equipment.
  • Replacing or repairing a roof structure (eaves, rafters, trusses, etc.)


Maintenance Permits are available at no cost and cover repairs such as:

  • Minor repairs, etc.
  • Replacement windows requiring no structural changes.
  • Replacing deck boards.
  • Reshingling a roof requiring no structural repairs
  • Siding

Building Department

Bert Gale, Building Official & Zoning Administrator

Hanna Hoard, Assistant

8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday

Bath Charter Township
14480 Webster Road
P.O. Box 247
Bath, Michigan 48808

Phone: (517) 641-4238

Fax: (517) 641-4170

There is a secure, 24-hour drop box located next the Township Office entrance that may be used for any Township business.