Bath Charter Township contracts with Associated Government Services (AGS) to provide building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing inspections for the Township.

Limited Staffing: Please call (517) 641-4238 to make sure someone is available to assist you.

Topics on this page include:

How do I contact an inspector?

What is a plot plan?

When are inspections needed?

Do I need a permit to replace siding, shingles or windows?

Do I need a permit for a fence?

Are permits required for swimming pools, spas or hot tubs?

Do I need a demolition permit to demolish a building?

As a trade contractor, do I need to be registered with Bath Charter Township?

When are sealed architectural drawings necessary?

How do I contact an inspector?

To get in touch with an inspector, please call the Building & Zoning Department.

What is a plot plan?

A plot plan is a diagram or layout of your property showing all buildings, the proposed construction and distances between buildings and property lines. A swimming pool is treated as an accessory structure for the plot plan.

When are inspections needed?

  • Footing inspections are required before concrete is poured.
  • Rough-in inspections are required before anything is concealed. Before calling for a building rough-in or final, all the trades need to have an approved rough-in or final inspection. Checking for trade approvals is part of the building inspection.
  • Final inspections should be scheduled after the project has been completed or installed.

Do I need a permit to replace siding, shingles or windows?

By completing a maintenance permit, the building department can determine if the work requires a building permit. There is no charge for a maintenance permit.

If a damaged truss, rafter, or eave is discovered when re-shingling a roof, a building permit will be required to make the structural repair.

A maintenance permit would be needed for window replacement. If a window is made larger or smaller, a building permit is required.

Contact us with your questions on what type of permit is needed.

Do I need a permit for a fence?

Yes, a permit is required, but it is only used for zoning purposes. We will need a plot plan (a diagram of your property). On the plot plan you will need to show the location and height of the fence. If the fence is over six (6) feet high, a building permit along with engineering is required.

A zoning permit is also required for sheds and driveways.

Are permits required for swimming pools, spas, or hot tubs?

  • A building and zoning permit is required for all ground or in-ground swimming pools. spas, or hot tubs.
  • An electrical permit is required if the pool, spa, or hot tub has a filter.
  • A mechanical permit is required if the pool, spa, or hot tub is heated.

The following is an excerpt from the 2009 Michigan Residential Code referring to swimming pools and fences: “Any pool over 24 inches in depth requires a barrier. A barrier is defined as a fence, wall, building wall. or combination thereof which completely surrounds the pool and obstructs access to the swimming pool. If the barrier is a fence: A fence shall be 48 inches above grade. Maximum vertical clearance between grade and bottom of the fence shall be 2 inches. Openings in the fence shall not be climbable. Only vertical members or chain link mesh shall be 2.25 inches unless slats are woven into the chain link. The fence shall have a self-latching or self-closing gate with the release mechanism being 54 inches from the bottom of the gate or in the alternative, be placed on the pool side of the gate – 3 inches from the top.”

Do I need a demolition permit to demolish a building?

Yes a demolition permit serves two purposes:

  • The demolition checklist needs to be completed before the demolition.
  • Alerts the assessor to remove the demolished building from your taxes.

If a building permit is pulled to replace the demolished building. there is no charge for the demolition permit.

As a trade contractor, do I need to be registered with Bath Charter Township?

No. Bath Charter Township doesn’t require a registration; however, a copy of the license is kept on file.

When are sealed architectural drawings necessary?

Sealed drawings are necessary for residential homes over 3,500 square feet and commercial projects.

Please review all information on this page, including:

Review Time

Issuing the Permit

Posting the Permit


Certificates of Occupancy or Certificates of Compliance

Submit an application, plot plan, recorded deed and three (3) sets of drawings or blueprints. Applications are available here online under the Forms tab, or in paper format at the Township Offices.

For building and accessory permits, the application, plot plan, recorded deed and three (3) sets of drawings or blueprints are required for the permit package. (The accessory building permit is used for swimming pools.)

If the permit is for a new residence, a driveway permit, health department permit or sewer and water permit, and an energy code (exterior envelope) form will be required. In some areas of the Township, a Soil Erosion Permit is required. There is a map in the Building & Zoning office that will determine if a Soil Erosion Permit may be required.

Review Time

The review should take one week, however it may take longer depending on the magnitude of the review and the number of applications waiting for review. Applications are processed in the order in which they were received.

When the permit is ready to be issued, the applicant will be called. When the building permit package is submitted, it is checked for completeness. The drawings or blueprints are reviewed by the building inspector and a plan review done. The plan review includes all the codes necessary for your project, items omitted from your drawings or blueprints or to which the building inspector wants to draw attention. The plot plan will be reviewed to determine compliance with the zoning of the District.

If the project is denied due to zoning, there is recourse through the Zoning Board of Appeals.

Issuing a Permit

The Building Department will issue a building permit after review and approval of the completed building permit package. The issued permit package will include a copy of the building permit, the plan review, a copy of the drawings or blueprints, and a hard card. This hard card must be posted on the site for inspections to be done.

A trade permit may be pulled by a homeowner for his own house if he is doing the work. Otherwise, a licensed contractor must obtain the permit. Trade permits can be reviewed and issued the same day.

A contractor is not required to pull a building permit for a commercial project, but all trade permits must be pulled by a licensed contractor.

Posting the Permit

The hard card must be posted where the inspector can see it from the road. For new construction. the hard card is sometimes the only identification for a building project when it is at the footing stage. If the inspector cannot identify the address of the inspection, he will not do the inspection. If the hard card is destroyed, it can be replaced by calling the Building & Zoning Department.


To schedule an inspection, call (517) 641-4238. If the call goes to voice mail, please give the following information: inspection address, type of inspection, permit number, name and phone number of person requesting the inspection. Inspections are normally done five days a week.

Certificates of Occupancy or Certificates of Compliance

A Final Inspection is Required for Every Project.

  • A Certificate of Occupancy is issued after the completion of an approved, final inspection for a building project.
  • A Certificate of Compliance is issued after the completion of an approved, final inspection for installation of furnaces, air conditioners or other work requiring a trade permit (electrical, mechanical or plumbing).

These Certificates are issued to the permit holders. An approved, final inspection may be necessary for insurance purposes and more banks are requiring a Certificate of Occupancy when the house is sold.

Building Permits are required for the following:

  • Change of occupancy of a structure.
  • Construction of an addition.
  • Construction or alteration of any structure.
  • Demolition or moving a structure.
  • Installation or alteration of any electrical, mechanical or plumbing equipment.
  • Replacing or repairing a roof structure (eaves, rafters, trusses, etc.)

Maintenance Permits are available at no cost and cover repairs such as:

  • Minor repairs, etc.
  • Replacement windows requiring no structural changes.
  • Replacing deck boards.
  • Reshingling a roof requiring no structural repairs
  • Siding

Zoning (Land Use) Permits cost $50.00 and are required for:

  • Accessory Building: A building or structure customarily incidental and subordinate to the principal structure and located on the same lot as the principal building. This includes sheds.
  • Building: Any structure having a roof supported by columns or walls, for the shelter, support, enclosure of persons, animals or property.
  • Driveway: Vehicle access to a lot from a street which shall be located at least five feet from an adjacent lot line.
  • Fence (permanent): A barrier of wood, metal, stone, brick and/or vegetation or any manufactured materials erected for permanent enclosure of yard areas.
  • Screen: A structure providing enclosure, such as a fence, and a visual barrier between the area enclosed and the adjacent property A screen may also be non-structured, consisting of shrubs or other growing materials.
  • Structure: Anything constructed or erected which requires permanent location on the ground or attachment to something having such location on the ground including, but not limited to, all building and free-standing signs and not including sidewalks, drives, patios, and utility poles.

Bath Charter Township has five separate zoning districts:

  • Rural
  • Developmental
  • High Density
  • Medium Density
  • Low Density

View Bath Township Zoning Map

The Zoning Administrator will review the plot plan that was submitted with the building permit application. The zoning will either be approved or denied based on the Bath Charter Township Zoning Ordinance requirements for the zoning district where the property is located.

The Zoning Administrator may only approve the zoning according to the provisions of the Bath Charter Township Zoning Ordinance. If the project’s zoning cannot be approved by the Zoning Administrator, an application may be made to the Zoning Board of Appeals. The Zoning Board of Appeals is a five member board that has the power to grant variances or interpretations to the Bath Charter Township Zoning Ordinance.

An application must be filled out and submitted to the Zoning Administrator. The application is located under the “Forms” tab of this page.

Zoning Board of Appeal Fees:

  • $100 00 residential
  • $250.00 multiple family residential and signs
  • $300.00 office, commercial, industrial and ordinance intrepretation

ZBA meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the month at 6:00 pm.

An application, site plan and fee must be turned in 25 days before the meeting.

The State requires notification of the meeting to be published in a newspaper and letters mailed 15 days before the meeting to adjacent property owners within 300 feet of the appeal address.

A reminder letter will be sent to the applicant as well.

“The applicant or the applicant’s representative must be present at the meeting to present their appeal before the ZBA board. If the applicant or representative is not present the appeal will be tabled to the next meeting Decisions will be made at the meeting.”

The minutes of the meeting will be available approximately five days after the meeting. The applicant may request a copy of the minutes by calling the Building & Zoning Office.

Building & Zoning

Bert Gale, Building Official

Edith Loomis, Assistant

1:00 pm – 5:00 pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday
8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Wednesday

Bath Charter Township
14480 Webster Road
P.O. Box 247
Bath, Michigan 48808

Phone: (517) 641-4238

Fax: (517) 641-4170

There is a secure, 24-hour drop box located next the Township Office entrance that may be used for any township business.