Board and Commission Meeting Videos

Building & Zoning


Bath Charter Township contracts with Associated Government Services (AGS) to provide building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing inspections for the Township.

Building & Zoning Office Hours:

Monday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Tuesday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Wednesday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Thursday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Friday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Limited Staffing:

Please call (517) 641-4238 to make sure someone is available to assist you.

Bert Gale - Building Official/Electrical Official, & Zoning

14480 Webster Rd.
P.O.Box 247
Bath, MI 48808
Phone: 517.641.4238
Fax: 517.641.4170
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

To schedule an inspection, call (517) 641-4238. If the call goes to voice mail, please give the following information: inspection address, type of inspection, permit number, name and phone number of person requesting the inspection. Inspections are normally done five days a week.

Building & Zoning Forms

Building Permit Procedures

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Zoning Board of Appeals Request

The Building Department's primary responsibility is administration and enforcement of construction codes. The Township enforces the State Construction Code consisting of the 2009 Michigan Residential Code incorporating the International Residential Code and the 2009 Building Code incorporating the International Building Code.

Building Permits are required for the following:

  • Change of occupancy of a structure.
  • Construction of an addition.
  • Construction or alteration of any structure.
  • Demolition or moving a structure.
  • Installation or alteration of any electrical, mechanical or plumbing equipment.
  • Replacing or repairing a roof structure (eaves, rafters, trusses, etc.).

Maintenance Permits are available at no cost and cover repairs such as:

  • Minor repairs, etc.
  • Replacement windows requiring no structural changes.
  • Replacing deck boards.
  • Reshingling a roof requiring no structural repairs.
  • Siding

Zoning (Land Use) Permits cost $50.00 and are required for:

  • Accessory Building: A building or structure customarily incidental and subordinate to the principal structure and located on the same lot as the principal building.  This includes sheds.
  • Building: Any structure having a roof supported by columns or walls, for the shelter, support, enclosure of persons, animals or property.
  • Driveway: Vehicle access to a lot from a street which shall be located at least five feet from an adjacent lot line.
  • Fence (permanent): A barrier of wood, metal, stone,brick and/or vegetation or any manufactered materials erected for permanent enclosure of yard areas.
  • Screen: A structure providing enclosure, such as a fence, and a visual barrier between the area enclosed and the adjacent property.  A screen may also be non-structured, consisting of shrubs or other growing materials.
  • Structure: Anything constructed or erected which requires permanent location on the ground or attachment to something having such location on the ground including, but not limited to, all building and free-standing signs and not including sidewalks, drives, patios, and utility poles.